Share it Please
This particular sermon does a great job of explaining many of the popular theories refuting the resurrection of Jesus. It also presents some great material confirming it. This is great to listen to if you're either doubting, or want more confirmation in what you believe.
After going through a lot of head-knowledge and facts, Joseph pulls it in to get to the heart of what Jesus' resurrection really means, and it's significance in our lives.
The sermon can be found here: http://www.churchinhollywood.com/#/sundays/podcasts
I only took a few notes on this one:
- The resurrection of Jesus does three things:
- Validates our faith
- If Jesus can't resurrect the dead, then He can't save me, atone my sins or do anything else He claims.
- Conquers our greatest fear: death.
- 1 Corinthians 15:55-57 - "'Where, O death, is your victory? Where, O death, is your sting?' The sting of death is sin, and the power of sin is the law. But thanks be to God! He gives us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ."
- Joseph points out that Paul, in this verse, is using poetry to talk about death, emphasizing that we can rejoice in its defeat.
- Secures our future:
- Paul says that, if Jesus has not resurrected, Christians are to be pitied most of all men for sacrificing their lives to a hopeless cause.
- This is not the case though, and our labors are not in vain.
- 1 Corinthians 15:58 - "Therefore, my dear brothers and sisters, stand firm. Let nothing move you. Always give yourselves fully to the work of the Lord, because you know that your labor in the Lord is not in vain."