Share it Please
Here is the first sermon in a series about Heaven by Judah Smith. It's based off of John 3, where Jesus has a conversation with a Pharisee named Nicodemus. In it, Jesus says, "No one has ever gone into heaven except the one who came from heaven—the Son of Man." Judah points out that Jesus was the only One who lived on earth after being in heaven, and the series is about what life in that context would be like, and what would happen if we adopted it.
I'm really excited to share this series. It has profoundly changed so much in my life. There are so many great things said here - too many to write down; so I definitely encourage a listen:
- John 3
- Jesus says He is the first to live on the earth, after He has existed in Heaven (verse 13)
- This must have changed the way Jesus lived His life
- And would change our way of life profoundly if we could have this mindset
- Hebrews 11 - People who, by faith, looked forward to a home beyond this earth.
- We are just visitors here, only here for a moment, because Heaven is our homeland
- Heaven is not a consolation prize when life doesn't work out, though that's how we often treat it...
- We treat earth like it's eternal, and heaven like it's temporary
- This life is like a nanosecond in light of eternity.
- "You can endure anything for 20 minutes."
- Aren't our problems in life just like that - just a moment in light of eternity?
- While Jesus was suffering and dying for us, what encouraged him was the thought of heaven with us
- Hebrews 12: 1-3 "Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a great cloud of witnesses, let us throw off everything that hinders and the sin that so easily entangles. And let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us, fixing our eyes on Jesus, the pioneer and perfecter of faith. For the joy set before him he endured the cross, scorning its shame, and sat down at the right hand of the throne of God. Consider him who endured such opposition from sinners, so that you will not grow weary and lose heart."
- Heaven affected Jesus' life
- The Lord's prayer has a lot about heaven
- Consider our Father in heaven
- Let Heaven invade earth
- We get caught up and shook up by silly things on earth
- Matthew 6:25-34
- “Therefore I tell you, do not worry about your life, what you will eat or drink; or about your body, what you will wear. Is not life more than food, and the body more than clothes?"
- Your Heavenly Father knows that you need these things
- Your Father at Home
- The more heavenly minded you are, the more earthly good you will be
- Abraham craved a home in heaven
- He sought it so much that it was a craving
- Makes more sense how he had so much faith
- Paul also craved a home in heaven
- Philippians 1:21-24 - Desiring to die and go to a far better country with Jesus, or to live.
- With eternal heaven in our mindset, brief moments on earth become more imperative and urgent
- Why do we get caught up in earth?
- Pain, trials, loss, etc.
- In both situations, the bible teaches to set your minds on things above.