Share it Please
I’ve struggled with the idea of social justice. Not that I’m against it at all, but I’ve thought, “Why should we fight for justice on earth? Shouldn’t that time be spent towards sharing the gospel and getting people into Heaven?”
It’s similar to the question of whether providing for physical or spiritual needs is most important, particularly in ministry to underprivileged people or third world countries. I’ve heard it said you can’t help someone spiritually unless their physical needs are first meant; but I’ve also heard that our spiritual lives and eternity far outweigh our physical needs, so those should be addressed first. I’ve always tended to lean towards the latter...
In this sermon, though, Judah points out that Jesus prays in the Lord’s Prayer that God’s will be done on earth as it is in Heaven. So then we ask, “How is it in Heaven?” Good question. Using scripture, Judah puts forth 5 circumstances in Heaven that we should strive to make come true on earth (see below). Why? Because Jesus prayed for it, so it must be important to God and His agenda.
It’s a fresh insight on the Lord’s Prayer that beckons action in a place where I was previously hesitant.
John 3:13 - "No one has ever gone into heaven except the one who came from heaven--the Son of Man."
- Jesus' life and ministry was shaped by eternity
- Keeping eternity in mind helps bring our problems to their proper light
- Heaven is not an ambiguous, far off concept, but something that serves us today
- Colossians 3:1 - "If then you have been raised with Christ, seek the things that are above, where Christ is, seated at the right hand of God."
- "if then" = since this has already happened
- It's not doing, it's always being that's first
- What has been done to you will enable you to do what God has called you to do
- It always starts with God and our hearts
- "Seek" = orient your life around heavenly realities more than pursue
- Heaven is far more real than Earth
- We have "resurrection power" in our bodies, whether we realize it or not
- Because of this, live now like it is in Heaven
- We have been given the opportunity to experience Heaven on earth
- We are to organize and orient our lives around Heaven's reality
- 5 Heavenly realities that we should orient our lives around (Rev. 21 & 22)
- In Heaven there is no sin
- "God made him who had no sin to be sin for us, so that in him we might become the righteousness of God." - 2 Corinthians 5:21
- We don't have to plan on sinning, or to prepare for sin and its recovery
- There is no sickness in Heaven
- We should pursue healing - both with doctors and God
- There is no injustice in Heaven
- We fight for the oppressed and against inequality
- There is both diversity and equality
- We do this, not because we are good or want a cause, but to live like Heaven
- There is no unbelief in Heaven
- We need to pursue greater trust in Jesus, with less trust in ourselves
- The glory of God permeates all of Heaven
- This is the ultimate theme and essence of Heaven
- All of Heaven is shaped by God's glory, and exists to add to God's glory
- Everything we do should be shaped by God's glory
- You will add to God's glory by your passion and skill
- People will say you're crazy and you've gone too far, but if you've been permeated by God's glory, it's okay.
- Is there a higher privilege on this planet than this?
- There are people who will be affected eternally because we say "yes" to God
- Financially: a dollar is meaningless, but when we invest it in ministry we attach value to it.