Jesus is Alive
Here is the fourth and final sermon in the "Jesus Is ______." series by Judah Smith.
Genesis 4:1-7As for you, you were dead in your transgressions and sins, in which you used to live when you followed the ways of this world and of the ruler of the kingdom of the air, the spirit who is now at work in those who are disobedient. All of us also lived among them at one time, gratifying the cravings of our flesh and following its desires and thoughts. Like the rest, we were by nature deserving of wrath. But because of his great love for us, God, who is rich in mercy, made us alive with Christ even when we were dead in transgressions—it is by grace you have been saved. And God raised us up with Christ and seated us with him in the heavenly realms in Christ Jesus, in order that in the coming ages he might show the incomparable riches of his grace, expressed in his kindness to us in Christ Jesus.
Adam made love to his wife Eve, and she became pregnant and gave birth to Cain. She said, “With the help of the Lord I have brought forth a man.” Later she gave birth to his brother Abel.Notes:
Now Abel kept flocks, and Cain worked the soil. In the course of time Cain brought some of the fruits of the soil as an offering to the Lord. And Abel also brought an offering—fat portions from some of the firstborn of his flock. The Lord looked with favor on Abel and his offering, but on Cain and his offering he did not look with favor. So Cain was very angry, and his face was downcast.
Then the Lord said to Cain, “Why are you angry? Why is your face downcast? If you do what is right, will you not be accepted? But if you do not do what is right, sin is crouching at your door; it desires to have you, but you must rule over it.”
- Genesis 4:1-7
- In Genesis, the word sin is used for the first time
- Sin is an invader, intruder, stranger who comes to rob and steal
- It was not God's original plan
- What is sin?
- Everyone has it.
- Falling short of God's glory, His standard (Romans 3:23)
- Missing the mark
- The mark is set by God
- The standard exists for us to have maximum fulfillment on earth
- Is sin real?
- Look around. It's natural for us to be bad.
- Is sin really living?
- We can be breathing but not alive -- just existing
- "The wages of sin is death." - Romans 6:23
- Sin is like eating at an awesome restaurant with really good food, but then the bill comes.
- It may be fun, but it will make you pay.
- What do we do now?
- Stop sinning (verse in Genesis above)
- "Just do well"
- The problem is we can only do "well" for a while
- So what do we do about that?
- "But God, who is rich in mercy, because of His great love with which He loved us..." - Ephesians 2:4
- God butts in because He is rich in mercy
- "great love"
- His love is towards us
- He loves because He is love; it requires no reciprocation
- "But God, being rich in mercy, because of the great love with which he loved us, even when we were dead in our trespasses, made us alive together with Christ..." - Ephesians 2:4-5a (ESV)
- "Together" is a key word
- God wants to know us and for us to know Him
- The answer to all of this is God, with nothing else.
- The only thing we can do is accept this love
- The way you are saved is the same way you continue to walk out your life with God
- You have to continually receive God's love, and be reminded of this good news