Share it Please
I listened to this quick video, which talks about how often "today" is used in the bible...
- 2 Corinthians 6:2 - "For God says, 'At just the right time, I heard you. On the day of salvation, I helped you.' Indeed, the "right time" is now. Today is the day of salvation."
- Matthew 6:11 - "Give us today our daily bread."
- Genesis 24:12 - "Then he prayed, 'Lord, God of my master Abraham, make me successful today, and show kindness to my master Abraham.'"
- (Here's a search on it if you want more.)
The other day I was trying to put myself in the mindset that God is taking care of me right now. In that place, I literally don't have to worry about anything because God is real, and has promised to take care of me. Try and exist in that moment - where God is literally holding you in His hand. You are sustained, right now, because of God. That's beautiful and freeing.
I have been pretty stressed this week with an overload of responsibilities and activities outside of work; so much so that I woke up this morning with a headache just trying to figure out how I'm going to do everything I need to do. On the way to work, I was thinking about how there was literally nothing at that moment I could do to help me finish any of those things, and so what was the point of worrying about them? This isn't a reckless abandonment of responsibility, but rather existing in the moment, because that's all I have.
Here are some notes from the sermon, based on Romans 12:1.
Romans 12:1 - "Therefore, I urge you, brothers and sisters, in view of God's mercy, to offer your bodies as a living sacrifice, holy and pleasing to God--this is your true and proper worship."
- What does God want in response to His gift of grace?
- God is only honored with a particular form of worship.
- There is "true and proper" worship - holy worship
- What is "holy worship?"
- Holy = set apart; anything that is in line with God's particular way of life
- Worship = fixation that determines your behavior
- 3 characteristics of holy worship
- Worship that honors God is conscious
- "true and proper worship" or some translations have "reasonable"
- Deliberate, calculated; the head and the heart
- Present - aware, immersed
- Worship that honors God is comprehensive
- "offer your bodies" - our most valuable possession, everything!
- You are letting go of control and entitlement
- This is saying that nothing is off limits to God
- God wants our dreams, our pasts, our futures, everything...trusting God's mercy for our past and His hope for our future.
- Worship that honors God is continuous
- "living sacrifice"
- Worship doesn't just happen at church or in moments - it's perpetual
- Life is like a big arrow made up of a bunch of little arrows
- Worship is asking God to align all of the little arrows (conversations, events, etc.) to orient the big arrow towards Him
- Is worship a normal part of life or the anomaly?
- Are worship events the rare thing?
- This doesn't mean adding more church events
- If worship is the anomaly, be patient -- it's an entire life change
- God wants what He paid for, and giving that up to Him is really aligning our lives with where it fits anyway
Note: This was written some time ago, so present tense items are not actually present tense, which is ironic in a way, given the subject matter.